Wednesday, February 4, 2009

School Days

Princess M and I have been having such an Adventure with school, that between that and my new facebook addiction, I haven't been updating the blog. We've studied how important and special names are to God, all about Leif Ericsson and Christopher Columbus, done a LOT of math, and some really cool science stuff. Here's a scrapbook look at our first two weeks in Adventures.

We started M with Rod and Staff Spelling, which is a fun little workbook. She thought it was a silly little workbook. It really is like something the flight attendant passes out to keep your child busy on an airplane ride. She's a bit ahead in spelling - it just comes naturally to her from all the reading she does, I believe. I followed the advice of my dear friends at MFW and switched her over to Spelling Power - the ULTIMATE homeschooling spelling curriculum. She started giving me the, "Are we done yet?" looks during her placement tests, but I could tell she was thrilled to have more of a challenge. After the placement tests were done, I found this on her white board. Apparently she wasn't that sick of writing after all . . . "I'll just make up my lists, thank you very much."

Science has been really great, too. I always dread setting things up for a science experiment (not another mess), and then we always have the absolute greatest time. The very fist thing we did was make salt water and observe the difference in how an egg floats vs. sinks. Wide-eyed wonder and giggles with this one!











In History, we made aluminum foil ships for the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria and set them to sail in the bathtub!













The Pinta capsized when the "wind blew too hard." But Christopher Columbus was safe and dry in the Santa Maria!

2 comments:

Lainie said...

Oh thank you for the Adventures update.

Through other people is the only way I'll experience it (unless I order it for myself after the kids have all graduated--hee hee)

Natalie said...

oh the days of fun science experiments and spelling tests...