Sunday, February 22, 2009

Adventures, Weeks 3 & 4

I'm so far behind in posting, but I want these little notes about our school year to keep for ourselves, too - so here goes.

We have really enjoyed Bible time in Adventures. The lesson is very short each day, but there's always a little something to remember. We continued to talk about Jesus' name and what it means - "the Lord saves," and made a beautiful wax paper/crayon creation with JESUS in the middle. (Note to anyone melting crayon shavings between two sheets of wax paper with an iron: cover your ironing board with newspaper or something or you will be buying a new ironing board cover.) Into week 4, the first memory verse was introduced, and Princess M was happy to memorize it and put it up on her Names of Jesus poster. She has since added other verses to the Names of Jesus poster that are not supposed to be up there! I'm still praying for patience on how to deal with a child that misbehaved by copying Bible verses and putting them up on the wall. (?) Yes, Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath, but that's not part of the curriculum. Why does she do these things?

Our switch to Spelling Power has gone very, very well. I'm so pleased with it. M placed ridiculously high, but I was able to get her started in a level where she still knows most of the words, so she is having lots of successes, plus is learning a couple of new words to spell each day.

Princess M's favorite new book is American Pioneers and Patriots! I have to hide it from her so she doesn't get ahead of where we're supposed to be. I love having books like this for school! We read wonderful pioneer stories, which M later told to, and acted out with, her stuffed animals. She was fascinated by Jamestown. Then we went into a week study of North American Indians, and even learned the true story of Pocahontas and how she saved Capt. John Smith's life. We built a paper wigwam and paper tee-pees and learned some Indian sign-language. So much fun! Our read-aloud was Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims. I tried so hard to not read-ahead, but then I caved and we just had to finish up the book a week early! Luckily there were plenty of other books listed in Book Basket for us to read in Week 5. Squanto is a good, good book!

Princess M also learned the lyrics to God Bless America, and loves to sing it on the phone to Daddy. Going through American History is such a thrill for me. It reminds me of being M's age sitting in chapel listening to Mrs. Greenwood teach the very same things! I am so, so excited about this school year!

Week 5 was also wonderful - the Pilgrims! But you'll have to wait for the Weeks 5 & 6 installment to see all the fun . . .

No comments: