Bible time continues to be short passages to read and discuss and fun projects. We made a salt covered candle with a bit of tracing paper written with "Jesus is the Light of the World." It is still a fun thing to light at dinner. Princess M now wants to pray before we turn off the light at bedtime as she reminds me that "Jesus is the Light of the World, Mommy, so let's keep the light on." :) We also did another fun project with melting crayon shavings to make a "stained glass window" with J-E-S-U-S in the middle. (This time I used newspaper to protect the ironing board.) Week 6 introduced Jesus as "The Bread of Life," but we didn't get into much of that since we were in Denver that week and we didn't take everything with us. Spelling Power and Primary Language Lessons are working well for M. They are such a gentle way to do Language Arts, and there is so much other LA built into our curriculum that she is doing very well.
If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring? Pilgrims! (Sorry I couldn't resist.) We had a wonderful time studying about the Pilgrims in Week 5. M just loves the American Pioneers and Patriots book! I've said that before, but it's worth repeating. What a great book! Our favorite project that week was definitely making the oiled paper window. It's amazing to think that people came to this country with next to nothing and used so much ingenuity to make it home.Week 6's history lesson was about how the Dutch pioneers brought cows and horses to America. M also enjoyed the many library books we took with us to Denver about the Pilgrim's lives.
M is learning the hymn "America" right now, and with listening to it daily for 4 weeks on top of her training at Kindermusik, she is quite the little songbird! (not to mention the dramatic inflections and hand motions!) :)
We went so lightly on Science for these two weeks. We read quite a few books on stars and constellations, and I pointed out the Big Dipper to M while we were in Denver, but I don't think she really saw it. She did a kick out of reading about Betelgeuse (beetle juice). We put off the yeast experiments for Week 7. (Wait til you see those pictures!)
M is finishing up the first Singapore Math book and ready to move into 1B. I'm loving this program. She's putting up with it. :)
For Art, we are using I Can Do All Things. We are both putting up with it. If things don't get more interesting soon, I'm going to have to cut back on art time or start doing other projects, because we're just not enjoying it as much as we should be.
After Week 6 we took a long break from school because of the move and accident. We've finished Week 7 and are cruising through Week 8, so hopefully I'll post again this weekend and be up to date!


No comments:
Post a Comment