Monday, January 19, 2009

The Adventure Begins

Today was our first day of Adventures in My Father's World. I've been looking forward to using this curriculum since Princess M was in Kindergarten. (It's hard to believe she's already a 2nd grader.) I was so glad to ditch the workbooks we've been using and start new curriculum. We had a great day, looking at all the new books and doing the first lesson - two lessons in math! M loves school, and I love having her at home. It is so amazing to see her get interested in something and watch her get completely absorbed in an idea.

Because we waited until January to start the new curriculum, we'll have some catching up to do if we want to roll curriculum in the fall. M is up for it, though! She even told me today that we should do school on Saturdays, too. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it's not even in my plan to have school on Fridays . . . Maybe we'll kick it up a notch for awhile, though, especially while Daddy's away.

The sun came out this afternoon and it was beautiful. We have had so much freezing fog and just plain yuckiness lately. There is still LOTS of snow and ice around, but it's nice to go out while it's sunny. M played with her friends for a bit and then came running in to see if I could come play. :) I told her that Mommy doesn't do ice-forts, but that I'd be happy to go for a walk. So I bundled up and joined her outside, and we had a great time exploring. She was so enthralled to walk over the crust of snow and follow the deer prints around. It was adorable -- a very kodak moment and I had no camera! Then she was ready for cocoa with marshmallows and sprinkles by the fire. I'm almost wishing it would snow again now . . . What a great day.

It wasn't really our "first day of school," but it felt like it. And it was wonderful!
.

3 comments:

Lainie said...

So excited for you!!! Adventures is the only year we won't ever do :(

I'm so happy I can live vicariously through you!


The freezing fog has been down here too... so strange and ethereal but so beautiful in a sunrise...

Can't wait to see more school :)

Quinne said...

Hi Cyndi :) Happy First Adventures Day! I look forward to reading about your experiences with it. We are having fun! Love, Q

~Cyndi said...

Thank you, ladies! Now if we can just get on schedule, we'll be set! Today was another really "light" day, but M sure enjoyed coloring the map.

Each school year is like a great novel. I'm so excited to get started and get to the middle where things are really good, then toward the end it's a rush to finish up, and afterwards, the big letdown that it's over. I'm going to make an effort to enjoy each day. Each day is a gift from God - what am I going to do with it? Hopefully sharing the highlights in a blog will help me appreciate all the small special moments even more.