We didn't have time to do our Advent activity today until we got home from church tonight, so I chose a topic without a big craft or project. Princess M and I snuggled up on the couch with our Advent book and a Nativity Scene snow globe and had a wonderful visit. The Nativity Scene is the defining Christmas decoration. It is such a peaceful picture - mother, earthly father, shepherds, animals, all adoring the beautiful baby. Some artists even throw in the three wise men, although they couldn't have possibly shown up until much later. Our snow globe has a raised rendering of the city of Bethlehem around the base. What a hustle and bustle must have been going on in that city! And we think the streets around our mall are busy. :) And seriously, could that peaceful scene really have been that peaceful? A woman just gave birth to a baby - in a stable, for crying out loud! And then a bunch of grungy shepherds show up and say that angels sent them? She was still a teenager, trying to get her mind and heart around all this. And there they sit, in my Nativity Scene, looking better than a Thomas Kinkade painting.
We have long since left the train of the thought I was on with M, by the way.
Can you imagine what was going on in the heavens during this blessed event? The Father was watching His perfect plan unfold. The angels were busy singing "Gloria," and dispatching shepherds to go have a look. Some cosmic event we may never understand was creating the brightest star that ever shown. And what were the principalities and powers, rulers of the darkness of this world, and spiritual wickedness doing? How freaked out were they? Did they feel their impending demise at the Son of God coming to earth? They must have! It must have been out-and-out war! Satan tried everything he could to convince man to kill that Baby, but God did not allow it - not until the time was complete for that Baby to fulfill His ministry, and ultimately become the perfect sacrifice for all mankind. Our Redeemer.
I love Christmas. I love everything about it. I'm having such a wonderful time celebrating Advent with my daughter. I love Nativity Scenes - porcelain ones, painted ones, wooden, plastic, live ones. M pointed out tonight that some people have Nativity Scenes even when they don't believe in God. Everybody loves the thought of a peaceful new Baby.
But I'm thankful for so much more than a Baby. I'm thankful for a King of Kings and Lord of Lords. A Redeemer. A Savior. A Healer. A Provider. A Banner. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment