Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ninth Day of Advent - Angels

I scheduled a very "light" activity for today because we were busy with Kindermusik, My Gym, and dinner at Gramma's. Our topic was Angels, and we discussed Gabriel's announcement to Mary, then to Joseph about Jesus' upcoming birth. The world tries to focus on the importance of angels, but what I love about angels is that their purpose is to worship God. He has sent them as messengers, or on missions of warfare, but in everything they do they worship God. Holy, holy, holy is the LORD. Every time we do something "angelic" for someone, it is an act of worship, glorifying God with our actions.

We followed the craft in the book today and traced M's foot on white construction paper for an angel body, and her hands on yellow construction paper for wings. (Because of all those pictures of angels with wings. Where in the Bible does it mention wings?? Oh well.) We printed off a picture of M's face and cut it out and glued it right on the heel and then glued creamy-colored yarn for her hair. A pipe cleaner for a halo - and voila! Princess Angel M. :)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Gabriel is one of my favorite characters in the Bible. I love hearing about him and reading about him. I really want to name my first son Gabriel. Mom thinks I'm crazy because she doesn't really like the name. But I think it's beautiful.

Anyway, i think the idea of using a foot and hands to make an angel is a splendid idea :-)

And the bible talks about wings in Revelation. The beings at the throne of God have six wings i believe. Two to cover their faces, two to cover their feet and two more that i forget what they do but they are in the middle :-)