Sunday, December 7, 2008

Seventh Day of Advent - Christmas Greetings

Today we learned how to say "Merry Christmas" in 12 different languages! Then we watched the classic, all-time favorite, one of a kind, amazing Christmas movie -- Yule Be Wiggling, (LOL!) and learned one more - Irish.

We, of course, had to sing "Feliz Navidad" and "The First Noel." Loved it.

We didn't have German on our list, though. I need some help, N - 'cause you know T will butcher it if I ask him! :) I think he just likes German because he gets to make snot noises! LOL!

Oh, I'm goofy tonight. What do you expect after watching (and dancing to) a Wiggles movie?

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Oh - and I forgot the best part! We also lit the first purple candle - HOPE - on our Advent Wreath. A very special day indeed.

Editing to add the greetings:
Italian - Buon Natale
Maltese - Il-Milied It-Tajjeb
Afrikaans - Geseende Kersfees
Polynesian - Ia Orana no te Noere
Hungarian - Boldog Kara-csonyt
Hawaiian - Mele Kalikimaka (Princess M's new personal favorite, thank you Bing Crosby)
Thai - Suk San Wan Christmas
French - Joyeux Noel
Chinese - Sheng Tan Kuai Lob
Spanish - Feliz Navidad (now that can be in your head instead of Mele Kalikimaka!)
Tagalog - Maligayang Pasko
Swiss - Schone Weinachten (very similiar to the German, huh, N?)

I won't try to add the pronunciations because of my inability to mark the vowels. But I'll add a plug for My Father's World First Grade phonics. M did an amazing job of reading the greetings because she knew what the marks on the vowels meant! I was so impressed. Thank you, MFW!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

i can definitely help with the German :-)

Frohe Weinachten!
(fr-oh-hey v-eye-nak-ten)

what were some of the other languages? now i'm curious!

~Cyndi said...

I knew you'd tell me! :)

I added the other languages to the post now. Just for you. :)