Monday, December 8, 2008

Eighth Day of Advent - The Colors of Christmas

Have I mentioned that I'm having way too much fun this Advent season? It feels so incredible to have committed to myself, and to M, that we would do something special for Advent everyday this month and be sticking to the promise. I had a rough day with a headache and some balance issues, but the vertigo never quite got me - thank you, Jesus! We had a very fun (and yummy) project today -- red and green popcorn balls!

I deviated a bit from our book, both in the schedule and the suggested project. If homeschooling has taught me anything, it's that any book can be adjusted to fit real life needs. And this was perfect for us. Princess M was such a good helper in the kitchen - she really impressed me, and she loved every minute of it. While we were mixing up the popcorn balls, I asked her why she thought Christmas colors were always red and green. She immediately thought of poinsettias, then a few minutes later holly berries and wreaths. We just kept chatting, and I reminded her of the song on Rudolph, "Silver and Gold," and we sang a bit of that. All of those colors make beautiful ornaments.

We sat down to read our page from the book while we ate a popcorn ball, and she was so proud that she had come up with similar reasons for Christmas colors! Those are the colors in bloom at Christmas time! "It is He who paints the seasons with colors." And we learned the following meanings -

Green - eternal life
Red - the blood of Jesus
White - purity of the Lamb
Gold - the King of Kings
Silver - the price paid for His betrayal - and our redemption

1 comment:

Lainie said...

I don't know where I've been but I'm to scroll back through and read your Advent posts!

I love this one! And I will be promptly stealing it for discussion today!

It's hard to remember after a few kids what you've taught them. I know I've discussed this with child #1, pretty sure with child #2 and I have no idea with child #3!

Thanks for the prompt to remedy that :)

Can't wait to see what you have today!