Sunday, December 21, 2008

21st Day of Advent - The Wise Men

We woke up this morning to more snow and plans to go to second service at church, so we had a little extra time at home. I decided today was going to be the best day for The Wise Men from our ADVENTure book. Since we're GFCF around here, I didn't want to do the "cookies in a jar" project from the book, but chose to substitute apple butter instead. I started peeling Granny Smiths, and even T came out of his office to help. We hollered for Princess M to join us when it was time to start cutting apple chunks and adding all the spices. M was in charge of reading the recipe and finding all the necessary measurers and ingredients. (T helped gather and measure a few of the ingredients. You really don't want to give a six year old sole control over brown sugar, especially on a Sunday morning before church!) They added sugar and spice to the crock pot while I chunked up the apples. A quick stir, a turn to "low," and a mad dash to get ready for church. It was one of the best family projects we've ever done together! We had so much fun.

We had a nice lunch and a nap after church, then T and M bundled up to go sledding. I had so much watching them through the window, reveling in the thought that my wonderful husband is home now to do any necessary shoveling. Bless his heart. I mashed up the apples around 4:00 and set the lid of the crock pot ajar to let steam (and aroma) escape. The house smelled so good when they came in from the cold!

After dinner, we all cuddled in the family room and read the story of the Wise Men while the candles on our Advent Wreath glowed. What amazing gifts they brought to Jesus! Gold - because of His royalty, and so handy since they were required to move to another country for safety. Frankincense - incense used for worship, a pleasing aroma to God. Myrrh - spices used to prepare a body for burial, foretelling the sacrifice that Jesus was to be for us. Wonderful, thoughtful, wise gifts.

Princess M jumped up and nearly shouted, "That's why we're making apple butter! The wise men gave spices to Jesus, and we put spices in the apple butter. Spices - spices!" :) Did I mention that I just love my daughter?

After we tucked her into bed, it was time to try out the "inversion canning method" recommended to me on MFW's message board. I was a little nervous, but a bit ADVENTurous, too. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) It worked! Oh, how excited I was! T said I looked like a kid in a candy store when those lids popped! :) Tomorrow, we'll put pretty material and ribbon around the lids for our own "wise gifts" to give away. And then, we just may make some more!

2 comments:

Quinne said...

Hi Cyndi :) What a precious, precious post! Spices - spices!

Have a lovely afternoon - Love, Q

Natalie said...

our pastor just did a service on the wise men on sunday. it was really interesting too, i learned some things about them that i didn't know before. :-)

and your post made me hungry. now i'm going to go upstairs and eat a slice of bread with lovely apple butter on it. mmmmm tasty!