Sunday, March 29, 2009

Week 7

OK, so I'm officially a goofball, but I realized that my every two-week updates are off track with the Ideas thread on the MFW message board. With good reason - they have wisely separated the weeks by the Bible topics, which makes more sense than the way I was going. So, this is a one week summary for a week that was actually done two weeks ago. Clear as mud? Good, I'll continue. Then pick up next week with a Weeks 8 & 9 summary.

Week 7 continues the Jesus is The Bread of Life theme, and we had a blast in the kitchen combining science with the Bible lessons. We did the coolest experiment with putting yeast and warm water into bottles and covering them with balloons. The bottle we added sugar to bloated up just like my intestines - I mean blew up the balloon because of the gas it created. The balloon on the bottle with salt instead of sugar just kind of hung out and did nothing. Princess M now truly understands why Mommy doesn't eat yeast and feels ten thousand times better when I don't eat sugar. We poked at that poor bloated balloon and gave thanks that Mommy's innards don't do that anymore. Is it any coincidence that the Bible relates yeast to sin?! (My comment alone. Don't take that to heart. It's just true for me.)



We also made some modeling dough and some pretty creations. Then we made more dough and added yeast so we could make bread rolls for M and T. I explained beforehand that gluten-free baking can be a tricky deal, and sure enough, the rolls weren't all that great. We served them at dinner on a "Give us this day our daily bread" plate and it was a nice moment talking about The Bread of Life. They did work well enough for the science lesson, and the deer enjoyed them in the backyard the next day. I hope the deer's bellies aren't bloated like that balloon . . .




In History, we read about the Pioneers from France who settled in Michigan. It was really interesting to read about making canoes and moving things down the rivers and along the Great Lakes. We finished up our read aloud The Courage of Sarah Noble early, mostly because M got ahold of it one day and read to the end on her own. That girl! I have to hide books from her to keep her from reading. So, Friday night we read to the end of the book together.

No comments: