Did you know that legend has it that the first ornaments were apples, to make us think of the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden? Then mommies started hanging all these goodies on the tree and calling them "sugar trees." Some people would also hang wafers of bread to remind us of Holy Communion, and Christ's body that was broken for us. Isn't that amazing? Ornaments - another symbol of Christmas pointing us to Jesus.

Of course, the earliest ornaments were all homemade. Sugar-coated nuts, cookies, dried
fruit, etc. So, our job today was to make some homemade ornaments. Now, I, in my wisdom, went to Michael's the other day and picked up a set of wooden ornaments to be colored with markers, somehow knowing that baking ornaments from a recipe where the main ingredient is *cinnamon* was going to be interesting. What a recipe was in our Advent book! Was she serious?! Plus, we put in 2 Tbs of glue, so it's not like we could even taste the gunk. When you make a mistake while cooking in
Webkinz World, you end up with "
gak." Well, that's what we got -- brown
gak! I added all kinds of *expensive* gluten-free flour to even be able to press the stuff out so we could use cookie-cutters. I was disheartened and a little grossed-out. Princess M, of course, was in heaven! :)

She loved being able to play with the "dough" with no worries of Mommy telling her "don't overwork the dough!" She picked out Christmas cookie-cutters and had a hey-day. The recipe said we could bake them in a 200 degree oven for 1 hour if we didn't want to wait days for them to dry. So, I gave them a nice sauna. Kinda forgot about them . . . they baked for 2 hours, but even with all the extra flour and all the extra spa treatment, they came out just fine. Well, *fine* might be an overstatement, but they came out the way they were supposed to. I think.

I'm so glad I bought the wooden ones! Princess M did a great job coloring them, and was quick to add them to our tree. The brown
gak ornaments are still in the kitchen. We have learned to be thankful that Christmas tree ornaments are no longer all homemade.
2 comments:
Hi Cyndi :) LOL - the brown gak, what fun!
When we made those, I painted them after they were dry with glitter glue (antique gold) and let them dry again. They were really pretty!
I am enjoying reading about your adventures in Advent. Love, Q
Ooooh, glitter glue would definitely enhance the "beauty" of these ornaments. :)
Post a Comment